Simple and tasty this Tomato pickle is quick to make and adds a tang to the meal. I loved making this as it need a very few ingredients and yet helps satisfy my pickle love!
1. 7-8 medium tomatoes (around 1/2 kg)
2. 1/2 cup oil
3. 1/2 tbsp rai
4. 1/2 tbsp methi seeds
5. 6-7 cloves of garlic
6. 3-4 dry red chillies
7. 1 inch ball size tamarind
8. 4 tbsp Achar Masala of any brand( one used for mango pickle)
9. Salt to taste
1. Wash, dry and cut tomatoes in pieces. Clean and cut garlic cloves in small pieces
2. Heat 2 tbsp oil, add tomatoes and tamarind to it and keep cooking till tomatoes are cooked and soft. Add salt to tomatoes while cooking. Keep stirring occasionally while cooking. Do not cover
3. Cool the cooked tomatoes to room temperature and run though blender to smooth paste
4. Heat another 2-3 tbsp oil in a pan and add rai as it crackles, add methi seeds and chopped garlic. Cook it for 1-2 mins still it starts giving aroma
5. Add the cooked tomatoes, tamarind paste to it and mix well. Add the Achar Masala and mix well. Cook till oil starts separating. Turn off the heat and let it cool
6. Heat remaining oil and add dry red chillies and it tampers turn off heat. Cool this oil to room temperature. Mix the oil and red chillies with the cooled tomato pickle
Store the ready pickle in clean dry glass jar. As this is not fermented pickle, prefer to store it in the fridge and small portion outside for daily use.
Enjoy tangy tomato pickle with hot parathas of daal-rice.