Came across the "Del Monte - Blog your way to Italy" contest on IndiBlogger recently and I was super excited as it was already on my mind to share my rainbow pasta - aka "Arcobaleno Pasta on skewers" !!
And it couldn't get any better than the "Cook, Blog, Fly" forum!!
Have you ever wondered how this humble Italian ingredient has occupied the Indian households..that pasta is one of the most favorites with our kids and that every mommy has almost invented a signature Pasta dish with her special "ingredients" which is hit with family and friends.
And when it comes to cooking, who better than the kids can give you the certificate of appreciation with that all full to all empty plate!!
Well so is my pasta dish which I am going to share here is surely hit with my kid..And I am sure that you all are also going to love it taste and its enjoy the preparation.
So as I said, when I learnt and applied to Del Monte - Blog your way to Italy contest, within a few days I received the surprise....
...........That was Del Monte pasta delivered to me. I never imagined I was among the lucky 250!! Thank you Del Monte!!
Here is my packet of Del Monte Spirali !!
Well as the kitchenkatta tradition goes so far, I love to keep the ingredients list to simple one which are easily available in all households, so this recipe is no different than that. Lets get going...and fly Italy!!!
Cooking time: 45 mins including assembly
1. 2 bowl Del Monte Spirali pasta
2. 1 big size carrot, cubed
3. 1 big size tomato, cubed
4. Bunch of spinach, cleaned and washed
5. 1 bowl of yellow and red capsicum pieces
6. 1 bowl of purple cabbage pieces cut into squares
7. Cheese as needed
8. 5-6 tbsp olive oil or regular cooking oil
9. Slat per taste
10. 2 tbsp pasta seasoning
11. 5-6 cloves of garlic
12. Few fresh basil leaves
13. 10-12 bamboo skewers
1. Make carrot and tomato puree. You can add carrot and tomato in same mixer jar and puree it. No need to cooking carrot for pureeing. Keep aside
2. Similarly make spinach puree and keep aside. No need to blanch spinach.
At later stage we are going to cook the puree. This gives more greener color.
3. Finely chop garlic cloves and keep aside.
4. In a deep pan, keep around 4-5 cups of water for boiling.
Once water warm, add 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tbsp oil. As the water starts boiling, add Del Monte pasta and cook till pasts is cooked. Quickly drain the pasts with help of strainer and pour room temperature water all over it, so as to stop the cooking process and avoid pasts from becoming more soft.
5.In a pan heat 3 tbsp oil and add tomato,carrot puree. Cook the puree till is changes the raw color and becomes thick.
6. Add half portion of the cooked pasta, salt to taste, 1 tbsp seasoning and cook for another 1-2 mins till pasta is coated all over with the sauce.
7. Off the flame and grate cheese as needed over the pasta. Add chopped basil leaves. Keep aside.
8. Now to prepare green pasta, heat remaining oil in another pan and add spinach puree. Cook till it becomes thick.
9. Add garlic, salt and cook for another 1-2 min.
10. Add remaining portion of pasta, 1 tbsp seasoning and cook for another 1-2 mins till pasta is coated all over with the sauce.
11. Off the flame and grate cheese as needed over the pasta. Keep aside
Gently insert a square of purple cabbage in a skewer, then few red pasta spirals, red/yellow capsicum, green pasta spirals in alternate or desired order.
Once a skewer is ready, keep it in a glass for easy handling. Similarly prepare more skewers. You can also add cheese cubes in between pasta spirals.
Server the pasts skewers along with red and green pasta in a bowl!!
Well before signing off, here is one more thing I liked about the Del Monte is its resealable pack which helps in easy storage of the pasta pack after use..
Kitchen Gyan: You can use any shape/variety of pasts like macaroni, fusilli, penne.