Well so schools are started and so is our extra busy schedule. But whatever may be a situation, as a mom you must be always striving to go that extra mile to give your child/children the healthy food. And specially when it comes to lunch box, your options start shrinking, as many other factors come into play..
it has to be healthy,
quick and easy to make,
your child should like it or develop test to it easily,
can be eaten at room temperature,
long lasting at least till afternoon-evenings as you never know when your little wonder falls in love with it and decides to munch on without understanding the life span of the food
So here I am starting with my lunch box/tiffen box/snack box series which I hope will help with more choices to make from when you pack food for your child/children. Well the recipes I share here in fact will go in your spouse's or your own box also..
Here comes the first one, Sprout Dhokala
This is the Dhokala just out of steamer before going in the box.
1. 1 cup sprouted moong2. 1/2 cup finely fresh coriander
3. 1 green chillies (adjust or avoid completely based on how your child accepts spices)
4. 1/2 inch piece of ginger
5. 2 tbsp besan
6. 1 tbsp Eno fruit salt
7. 2 tbsp oil
8. 1/2 tbsp sugar
9. Salt to taste
For seasoning (Optional)
1. 1 tbsp sesame seeds
2. Pinch on hing
3. Few curry leaves
1. Mix sprouted moong, coriander leaves, green chilli, ginger and grind in a mixer using a little water to a smooth paste.
2. Take the mix in bowl, add salt, 1 tbsp oil, besan and mix well. Use water to make a batter of pouring consistency.
3. Grease a thali with oil and keep aside
4. Add Eno to the moong mixture and mix gently. Pour in greased thali
5. Steam in a steamer for 10 to 12 minutes or till the dhoklas are cooked. Cool for a min and give cuts in desired shape
6. In a small kadhai, heat remaining oil, sesame seeds, hing and curry leaves and pour the seasoning on Dhokala
Pack with green or sweet chutney or tomato ketchup. If you are packing chutney, make sure it is of thick consistency so that it does not leak out of the box. Else safer option is tomato ketchup!!