Recently one of my friend went for routine health checkups and was detected with iron deficiency. Though doctor advised her on supplements, she was curious on how she can easily include natural iron sources in her and her kids diet. It is then we were talking about various iron rich vegetables, grains and dry fruits and after hearing most of the names, she became more anxious as how can she make kids have Spinach or beetroot or dates or oats !!
Interesting I have many recipes on kitchenkatta including these ingredients which I shared her. And as her LO also likes macaroni, I decided to share this interesting recipe with her which my LO enjoys for long time.
Incidentally that is when I came across this Indiblogger and Livogen Iron Chef contest and thought, wow, perfect timing and platform to share this recipe!
So well without a much delay now let me share you this quick and easy Creamy Spinach Cheese Macaroni recipe.
1. 1 cup macaroni pasta
2. 1/2 cup fresh spinach leaves
3. 1/4 cup processed cheese
4. 1 tbsp maida
5. 3-4 tbsp milk
6. pinch of fresh ground black pepper
7. 2 tbsp of butter
8. 1/2 tbsp pasta seasoning
9. Salt to taste
1. Clean and wash spinach leaves and grind it to fine paste using water as needed. Keep the paste thick. No need of blanching as we are going to cook the puree. Keep it aside
2. Boil 2 cups of water in a pan, add pinch of salt and 1/4 tbsp butter
3. As the water starts boiling, add macaroni to it and let it cook. Keep checking so that you do not overcook macaroni
4. Pour macaroni in a strainer and quickly poor room temperature water over it. is helps halt the further cooking of macaroni due to steam. Keep aside
5. Now heat a pan, add butter and as it melts add 1 tbsp maida. Fry it by quickly stirring and add milk to it. Make sure no lumps are left. The mix will start thickening very fast, so make sure it does not become too thick
6. Add spinach puree to it and let it cook well. The raw green colour of spinach will turn to darker green which indicates it is cooked
7. Add cooked macaroni and mix well
8. Add salt, pasta seasoning, black pepper and mix well.
9. Finally add shredded processed cheese and turn off the flame as cheese starts melting
Mix well and serve your hot iron rich creamy spinach cheese macaroni!
Also check out my other iron rich recipes by clicking below:
If you like this Creamy Spinach Cheese Macaroni do share it with #livogenironchef and let's fight iron deficiency together!!