Bored with same yellow daal everyday, if you are looking for a different variety of daal, this recipe is sure for you with minimal ingredients at hand..
1. 1-1/2 cup split masoor daal (red daal)
2. 1 cup fresh methi leaves, cleaned and finely chopped
3. 1 medium onion, cut into strips
4. 2-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
5. 1 dry red chilli
6. 1/2 tsp rai
7. 1 tsp turmeric powder
8. 2 tbsp red chilli powder
9. 1/2 tbsp garam masala
10. Pinch of hing
11. 3 tbsp oil
12. 1/2 tsp sugar
13. 2-3 kokum or 1 tbsp tamarind pulp
14. Salt to taste
1. Soak masoor daal in water for around 15-20 mins and then drain the water
2. Heat oil in pan, add rai, dry red chilli and hing
3. Add garilc and onion. Fry till onion become golden brown
4. Add chopped methi and cook for 2-3 mins stirring occasionally
5. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala and mix well. Saute for 1-2 mins
6. Add soaked daal and mix well. Add salt, sugar and kokam. Add water enough to cook daal.
7. Cover and cook for 7-10 mins, stirring occasionally. Add water as needed. Turn off flame as the daal is cooked. Do not over cook as we don't want to mash the daal.
Serve hot with paratha, phulka or steamed rice!