Raw papaya is another super vegetable with multiple health benefits., including antioxidant effects, may improve heart health, fight inflammation, improve digestion etc. In any case as I have said many times before, irrespective of these scientific details, it is always good to have diversity in your diet. With this simple thought, I love trying different vegetables as soon I can get my hands on those. So a quick visit to farm and I was able to get a couple of these super vegetable( or fruit?)
This time decided to try a no onion, garlic dish with it, just to get maximum papaya aroma in final dish.
1. 1 medium sized raw papaya
2. 3 small, well ripened, red tomatoes
3. 1 inch piece of ginger
4. 1 tbsp jaggery, grated
5. 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
6. 1-1/2 tbsp red chili powder
7. 1 tbsp garam masala
8. 1 tbsp chopped coriander
9. Salt to taste
10. 3-4 tbsp oil
11. 1/4 tbsp jeera
12. 1/2 tbsp rai
1. Wash and peel the papaya and cut into dices. Prefer knife to peel than the peeler as papaya skin will be quite hard to peel
2. Puree tomatoes and ginger together
3. Heat oil in a deep pan and add rai and jeera.
4. As it cracks, add papaya pieces, mix well, cover and cook till papaya changes color slightly. Keep stirring. Add few tbsp water as needed so that papaya pieces not burn
5. Add tomatoes, ginger puree, salt and mix well. Let the papaya cook in tomatoes puree till almost cooked. It will change soft and translucent
6. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala and mix well. Add jaggery , adjust water and let the curry cook till it leaves water from sides
7. Turn off the flame and garnish with chopped coriander
Serve tasty raw papaya curry with phulka, chapati or steaming hot daal-rice.