Khandeshi Funke, Kadhi and Kandole
Making Funke, Kadhi and Kandole used to be a celebration at my home in Khandesh. As a child unaware of origin or cuisine of this recipe this was one of our favorite. As I grew up, I realized how localized this recipe is to the Khandesh region of Maharashtra as hardly anywhere else I saw it or people new about it.
Now as a grown up I enjoy making this as much I love eating it and as much my family loves relishing on it.
I usually like to plan this recipe for Sunday brunch as it is quite filling and also need a small preparation before. Try this yummy dish and let me know in comments how you liked it.
For Funke ( steamed dumplings made with gram/chana daal):
1. 2 cup chana daal. Soak it overnight
2. 8-10 cloves of garlic
3. 2 green chillies
4. 1/4 cup fresh coriander
5. 1 tbsp jeera
6. 1 tbsp turmeric powder
7. 2 tbsp red chilli powder
8. Salt to taste
Drain all the water from soaked chana daal. In a mixer jar, add all ingredients and grind to fine paste. We need thick paste, so avoid using water. If it's too difficult to grind add at max 2-3 tbsp water little at time.
Keep the chana daal mixture aside till we prepare for Kandole
For Kandole( these are steamed parartha):
1. 1 cup whole wheat aata
2. 1 tbsp ajwain seeds
3. Salt to taste
4. 2 tbsp oil
1. Mix aata, ajwain, salt and 1 tbsp oil. Using water knead soft dough. Apply remaining oil and knead well.
2. Cover and keep it aside for 10 mins
3. After 10 mins, divide the dough into equal parts and roll into flat thin chapati
4. Apply little oil and fold into half circle and then again apply oil and fold in quarter circle. Roll a little gently in same shape like triangle paratha
5. Repeat with all dough balls and Keep aside
Steaming of Funke and kandole:
In a steamer or cooker heat sufficient water and place a chalani or strainer on it. Now with Funke batter that we prepared above make oval balls and place it on the strainer in steamer. Cover and steam it for few 4-5 mins.
Next place 2-3 kandole on these steaming Funke. Apply oil on it so that it does not stick together.
Cover and cook Funke-Kandole together for 10-12 mins. Once the color changes, it is cooked.
Repeat this steaming for remaining Funke Kandole. While removing Kandole from steam Funke gently separate them.
Meantime let's prepare kadhi.
1. 3 cup fresh mildly sour buttermilk ( you may also use 1 cup slightly sour curds added with 2 cup water whisk well to make buttermilk)
2. 3 tbsp Besan
3. 1 green chilli chopped
4. 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
5.1 tsp jeera
6. 1/2 tsp rai
7. 1/2 tsp meethi seeds
8. 5-6 curry leaves
9. 4 tbsp oil
10. 1/2 tbsp sugar
11. Salt to taste
12. 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
1. Add Besan to buttermilk and mix well such that no lumps are left
2. Add salt, sugar, turmeric powder and mix welll. Keep aside
3. In a deep pan heat oil and add rai, jeera and as it crackles add green chilli and curry leaves. Finally add methi seeds and let it fry till it turns darker in colour
4. Now turn off the flame and add the buttermilk mixture to the pan. If you add buttermilk to very hot oil, it starts curdling so make sure to turn heat at this step
5. Now again turn the flame on very low and keep stirring the kadhi as it starts showing boils
6. Turn off flame and garnish with coriander
Kadhi is had with Funke. Break a Funka and serve dipped in hot kadhi along with Kandole!!