Before relocating to Pune or Bangalore I have always had the khandeshi bharta made with green or white brinjal. However here green brinjal are not available always. Mostly in market we get purple brinjals only. When I tried khandeshi bharta with thesd brinjals it did not taste great. In some of the hotels I had tested baingan bharta with tomato added to it. So I too decided to experiment with that taste and prepared this Baingan Bharta with tomatoes added. It turned out really well now has become one of my favourite. Today I share this recipe here
1. 1 big size purple brinjal
2. 1 big size tomato chopped
3. 1 medium onion chopped
4. 4-5 garlic cloves finely cut in fine pieces
5. 1 green chilli chopped
6. 2-3 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
7. 4 tbsp oil
8. 1 tbsp turmeric powder
9. 2 tbsp red chilli powder
10. 1/2 tbsp garam masala
10. Salt to taste
1. Wash the brinjal and apply oil all over it. Roast brinjal on all sides on gas stove. Keep it aside to cool slightly
2. As the brinjal cools slowly remove the burnt skin from it. Mash the cooked brinjal and mix well
3. In a pan heat oil and add chopped,green chilli
4. Add chopped onion and cook till it becomes translucent
5. Add garlic and chopped tomato.Cook the tomato well.
6. Now add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and Garam Masala and mix well. Fry tomato mix for few minutes
7. Now add mashed brinjal and salt.
Mix well and cook the Bharta for 3-4 minutes till oil starts living from sides
8. Turn off heat and add chopped coriander and mix well
Purple baingan bharta is ready. Serve hot with chapati or phulka.