Since my little one had declared he do not want Poha and Upma in his lunch box, as two of my sure options are gone now, I am always trying out varieties of rice. My criteria for a dish to qualify for his lunch box are simple - it should be manageable for him to eat independently, should be easy and quick to make, tomato/onion should not be there is visible form :), should be healthy, and should be a sure one..i.e. I need to be sure the box will come empty..
Well so with all these conditions, this Paneer-Green peas Pulav is our favorite one, not only for lunch box, but otherwise also whenever I have paneer at hand.
Try this in your kids box and see the smiling faces back with empty boxes..
I am giving portions for a small size lunch box, you can scale it up as per need.
1. 1/2 cup Basmati or Regular rice, cooked (grains should be separate as much possible and not sticky)
2. 1 medium tomato
3. 1/4 inch piece of ginger
4. 2 small garlic cloves
5. 3 tbsp paneer pieces, cut into small cubes. Can take more as per liking
6. 2 tbsp fresh green peas
7. 1/2 tbsp Pav Bhaji masala
8. Salt to taste
9. 2 tbsp oil
10. 1/4 tsp jeera
11. Pinch of sugar
1. Chop tomato, ginger and garlic into small pieces
2. Grind it all into smooth puree
3. On a tava, shallow fry paneer pieces and keep aside
4. Heat oil in a pan, add jeera and add green peas. Saute it for a min.
5. Add the tomato-ginger-garlic puree prepared and cook it till it starts realizing oil
6. Add pav bhaji masala, salt and sugar. Mix well. Add fried paneer pieces.
7. Add cooked rice and mix all together. Cover and cook for 2-3 mins
Yummy Paneer-green peas Pulav is ready go in the boxes(or directly to hungry tummies)!!
Optionally garnish with chopped fresh coriander.