Katachi amti is another traditional Maharashtrian dish that is mainly served with Puran Poli and rice.
This spicy daal preparation is made using Gram daal which is also main ingredient for Puran Poli.
The spicy, tangy taste perfectly balances the taste of sweet Puran Poli meal.
1. 1 cup pressure cooked Gram/Chana daal, finely mashed
2. 1 medium size onion
3. 1/2 cup fresh coriander, chopped
4. 1/4 cup dry coconut pieces
5. 4-5 cloves of garlic
6. 1 inch piece of ginger
7. 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
8. 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
9. 3 tbsp red chilli powder
10. 2 tbsp garam masala
11. 1 tbsp tamarind pulp
11. Salt per taste
12. 4-5 tbsp oil
1. Cut onion into slices and fry it till golden brown using a tbsp oil. Keep aside
2. In same pan, fry dry coconut strips till slightly brown. Keep aside
3. In mixer jar, add fried onion, coconut, galic, ginger, fresh coriander, garam masala, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and grind all to fine paste.
4. Heat remaining oil, add the paste prepared above and fry for 3-4 mins till it starts realeasing oil.
5. Add cooked and mashed gram daal, add water to adjust consistency.
6. Add tamarind pulp, salt and let the amti boil for another 3-4 mins. Stir occasionally if required.
Serve hot with puran poli, phulka, rice.