I had never imagined Barley to be so versatile till I discovered this tasty barley khichadi.
1. 1 cup barley, washed and soaked in water for around 20 mins
2. 1/2 cup tuwar daal
3. 1 small carrot cut into small cubes
4. 1 small onion, finely chopped
5. 1/4 cup vaal/awarkkai seeds or green peas
6. Feastfull of fresh methi leaves, finely chopped
7. 3-4 garlic cloves
8. 2 tbsp oil
9. 1/4 tsp rai
10. 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
11. 1 tbsp red chilli powder
12. 1/2 tbsp daniya powder
13. 1/2 tbsp jeera powder
14. Pinch of hing
15. Salt per taste
16. Around 2-1/2 cup warm water
1. Heat oil in pressure cooker, add rai and as it crackles add hing.
2. Add chopped onion and fry till it becomes translucent.
3. Add remaining vegetables like carrot, vaal seeds, garlic, methi leaves and fry for another 2-3mins
4. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, dhana-jeera powder and mix well
5. Add the soaked barley and washed tuwar daal and mix well
6. Add salt and 2-1/2 cup warm water. Cover and pressure cook for4-5 whistel
7. Cool till pressure realeases completely. Add water if khichadi too dry and cook for another few mins