This is a wonder vegetable with lots of nutritional benefits which is often neglected in our routine cuisine.
I also did not come across Laal maath till after my marriage as in my maternal home, many Red color ingredients like this laal maath, Masoor daal are not consumed due to religious/mythical reasons
But now this is a routine vegetable in my household and the parathas are loved more.
Sabji can be had with Chapati or rice.
To make the parathas we have to prepare the bhaji/sabji fisrtly. So you can use the leftover bhaji/sabji also for making parathas or you can use fresh bhaji/sabji for this.
1. Bunch of laal maath (Red Amaranth) bhaji
2. 1 medium size onion
3. 1 medium size tomato
4. 3 tbsp oil
5. 1 tbsp turmeric powder
6. 1 tbsp red chilli powder
7. 1-2 dry red chilli
8. 1/2 tsp rai
9. pinch of hing
10. Salt as per taste
1. 1 -1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2. 1 cup laal maath sabji (cooked with below procedure)
3. 1 tbsp green chilli finely chopped
4. 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds
5. Oil for greasing
6. Salt as per taste
7. Water for kneading
1. Pluck Laal maath leaves, wash and finely chop
2. Finely Chop onion and tomato
3. Heat oil in pan, add rai and hing and dry red chilli
4. Add chopped onion and fry it slightly brown
5. Add tomato and fry till it softens
6. Add chopped laal maath bhaji and cover and cook till the bhaji becomes soft stirring occasionally. Sprinkle water if needed.
7. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt and mix well. Cover and cook for another 1-2 mins till the water almost evaporates
Enjoy the sabji with Chapati or rice.
Now we will use same sabji cooled to room temperature for making parathas. As I mentioned you can use fresh sabji or leftover one.
1. In bowl, mix wheat flour, 1 cup laal maath sabji, chopped green chilli, salt, sesame seed and mix well.
(Cooked sabji already has salt, so adjust the salt for paratha accordingly)
2. Using little water if needed, knead into stiff dough
3. Divide the dough into equal portions and roll into parathas
4. Heat a tava and roast the paratha till golden brown on both sides applying little oil on each side
Serve hot with curd or tomato ketchup.
Makes good snack for kids lunch box also.