When it comes to comfort food, I think this dish would top my list..Daal-Dhokali is sure a easy to make one dish meal also which can be enjoyed in lunch or dinner. Though the traditional Dhokali were made by hand, rolled and cut Dhokali taste equally well..
So here come the recipe..
1 1/2 Cup Toowar daal pressure cooked and mashed2 Cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp carom seeds
1 green chillies
5-6 curry leaves
2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
3 tbsp tamarind pulp
4 tbsp jaggery (can use less also based on your taste)
salt to taste
Water for making dough and for boiling daal
1 tsp rai
Pinch of hing
5-6 tbsp Oil
1. In a bowl mix whole wheat flour and carom seeds. Add salt per taste and knead to thick dough. Apply oil and knead well. Set aside
2. In a deep pan, heat oil, add rai and after it tampers, add curry leave and green chilli
3. Add hing and turmeric powder and saute for 1 mins
4. Add cooked toowar daal, red chili powder, salt, tamrind pulp, jaggery and mix well
5 Add water to adjust consistency and let the daal boil on medium flame
6. Devide the dough into equal parts and roll each into flat bread on rolling board. The flat bread should not be too thick or too thin.
7. Apply oil over the rolled chapati. Now with a help of knife, cut vertical strips and then horizontal to make diamond shaped pieces of Dhokali
10. Now add this poha to onion-potato mix in the pan and mix well till poha are covered with turmeric color well
11. As the daal starts boiling, go on adding Dhokali pieces. Keep stirring gently and add water when needed to adjust consistency
12. Repeat for all dough to make Dhokali and add to daal
13. Cover and cook for another 3-4 mins till all Dhokali are cooked
14. Serve hot with ghee, achar and raw onion!!